Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Estimating the Diwali spend on pyrotechnics

I am no expert on firecrackers and firewords, but this Diwali I was awed by the sheer amount of explosives and light on beautiful display at Dehradun. I thought I would estimate the total spend.
I was at the outskirts of the city. I could hear a steady bursting of crackers. It was a continuous sound in the background. I estimated about 20 crackers were going off every second within my audible range.
For perhaps 3 hours (including the previous day's crackers etc.)
*now the question is fixed::
How much did each "pop" cost? I had no idea. But I estimated it at Rs. 10.
So Rs. 200 per second.
3600 seconds an hour or Rs. 720,000.
Three hours = Rs. 21 lakhs.
I guessed my audible range was 1 km. The city is 5 km in radius, say. 75 sq km, of which I was hearing 3 sq km. I had to multiply by 25.
25 times 21 lakhs = Rs. 5 crores.
Is this the right number?
I don't know. But I checked on the net a few minutes ago and it seems that Lucknow spends Rs. 30 crores on firecrackers each Diwali.
So Rs. 5 crores may be reasonable.
I tell you,I love this number-checking...
but more than it i love to tell u that u pple are the future citizen of the country and should come forward in the society to take the responsibility...for last 3yrs m spreading awarness in dehradun and neighbouring cities with a help of an NGO...
best wishes
jai jai GURU